Ready to explore the world and experience the wonder your inner adventurer craves?
You start another day and sigh, “There’s no way I can experience other cultures in a meaningful way from my little corner of the world.”
You watch a movie filmed in a faraway country where a dining scene features plate after plate of beautifully presented foods and think… I’ll need to attend an expensive course before I can present a meal like that.
You long to share your joy of travel and learning new things with those who matter most. Yet they tend to resist new experiences. So you’ve been wondering how to do so in a way they can relate and enjoy.
You love gathering family and friends around the table for laughter and a good meal—but it’s still a little disappointing having to serve your go-to dish …again. So you tell yourself that you’ll wow them with something new next time. (Haven’t you said that before?)
But no more.
You can experience the satisfaction you were made for without the fear of missing out. And with the encouragement and guidance you’ll receive here, that’s just what you’ll do:
IT’S LIKE THIS…
I believe you’re here to explore the world and experience its delicious variety.
That there is a loving and purposeful God who has given you — at great cost — both life and the ability to enJoy it. And you’re determined not to waste either one of these gifts.
Maybe all you need now are:
- Encouragement to help you to think productively — in step with God’s wonderful ideas for you, travel, and try new things.
- Reviews and recommendations for books, movies, and podcasts to stir your imagination and creativity.
- Someone who has been where you are and will encourage you to pause, dive in and savor ideas, foods, and other experiences from, well, everywhere.
I want to be that someone.
Consider me your fun and faraway adventure companion!
Each of us has a story; here’s mine.
It began just before my 8th birthday. We were on a family trip to Montréal, Canada ~ my first time outside of the U.S. ~ when a woman smiled at me and said, “Bonjour!”
I was hooked.
From that day on, I pursued every opportunity to live and travel overseas, including a 2-year stint teaching English in Japan and a naval career that plunged me (happily!) into everyday living in Europe, Bermuda, and the Pacific Islands.
More than anything, I enjoyed the opportunities my travels gave me to connect face-to-face, heart-to-heart, with people around the world. So many beautiful people, from so many cultures, eating so many delicious foods.
By the time I moved to Las Cruces, I had lived in six countries on three different continents and traveled to fifteen more.
BUT AFTER A FEW YEARS IN MY SMALL SOUTHWESTERN CITY, I STARTED TO FEEL BOXED IN.
I began to feel I was missing out on the adventurous international life I had pursued since childhood. “What,” I asked God, “am I doing here?”
But over time, He led me to throw myself into exploring the local region and its foods. (In fact, I got so excited about what I was learning, I began to blog about it! But more on that later.)
As I let go of my craving for excitement in faraway places, I came to view the change in my circumstances as an invitation to see life differently. To recognize that I had everything I needed where I was.
And I escaped that trap.
As a result, I now live satisfied and secure. No longer restless.
I discovered how you and I can be enthusiastic hosts, better neighbors, dessert artists, more imaginative creators — in short, A-class adventurers — wherever we end up.
The joy of diving into a culture with its cuisine and emerging with deep appreciation of God’s provision for me has transformed my perspective on what’s possible in a small town and my future as a whole.
Now I live a greater adventure here than I did in any of those faraway places.
I can help you live the adventure, too.
Today, start savoring each present and precious moment of your international life, exploring the world, and in the process, get to know better the God who already knows you.
ADVENTURE IS WAITING BUT YOU DON’T HAVE TO.
Let’s keep in touch
I love hearing from you and learning more about you. No, really I do. I welcome your questions, suggestions, and your stories. Thoughtful words in emails are one of my love languages. So feel free to contact me anytime. I’ll grab a cuppa and listen. In the meantime, here are…
14 SORT OF RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME
- Made in Brooklyn.
- Fave Cuisines: Japanese, Southern Italian, and Southern USA.
- Certified arts and design nerd who studied decorative arts history at the New York School of Interior Design and art appraisal at NYU.
- Earned an M.A. in Latin American and Caribbean Studies with a history concentration at NYU.
- And no, I’m not in love with NYU. But I do luv history and languages. Living in NM makes me glad one of them is Spanish.
- Fave collectibles: Friends, memories, vintage tableware and fashion accessories.
- Fave getaway: Walking city with choice eats, grand old buildings, and lots of art.
- Sang with the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir for 14 years.
- Served in Bermuda, Europe, Hawaii, and California as a naval officer.
- Earned a certificate to teach ESL from Cambridge University and spent two years teaching English in Japan.
- Fave local snack: Red Chile Southwest Kettle Korn sold at the Las Cruces Farmers & Crafts Market.
- Favorite international snack: Dates (Deglet Noor or Medjool) dipped in tahini. With morning coffee, oh.my.goodness.
- Current Location: Southern New Mexico. (You can read about my Southern New Mexico adventures here.)
- Home: Anywhere my husband is.
So glad we’re connected and excited for our journey ahead!
I’m cheering you on.