Hey there, Food Adventurer Friend!
Now I’m guessing what I’m about to talk about wasn’t top of mind when you woke up this morning but did you know…
… that 501 years ago today, a Spanish expedition led by Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan set off on the 1st successful circumnavigation of the globe?
How time does fly.
Seriously, though, I admire Magellan’s audacity. In fact, he’s one of the explorers whose exploits influenced my childhood decision to travel the world.
A much younger (and thinner!) me on my own for the first time in Paris in front of the still beautiful Notre Dame.
True, Magellan died on the trip and only one of his original five ships made it back to Spain.
But he had attempted something that had never been done before, in uncharted waters.
Something truly S-C-A-R-Y.
Just a bit of history for you to store in your memory banks. Try using it the next time you need to push through fear and do the scary thing you most want to do.
1. To wash or not to wash. Speaking for myself, it was only about 10 years ago that I started washing — rice. If you’ve ever wondered about rice-rinsing and whether it even matters, reading this article should settle things once and for all.
2. Who knew we should go looking for the perfect hot tamale in Mississippi rather than Mexico?
3. Check out what a top food reviewer has to say about Las Cruces restaurant Forghedaboudit, where they serve “pizza we still dream about.” It’ll remind you that sometimes, the best food experiences lay in our own backyards.
4. A quote: Repeat experiences with our favorite things are great but… doing things differently every once in a while creates the chance for you to discover new favorite things. — Laura Vanderkam, on her Before Breakfast podcast (September 14th episode: Vary Your Route)
5. If you’re looking for something new to drink from your hot cuppa while you’re reading or listening to podcasts, consider trying the Japanese green tea that’s cheering me up right now.
Not yet subscribed to Five Bites? I’d love to have you join us by signing up here.