Love takes time. And lots of blogging.
At least 4 years worth in my case . . .
. . . it was 4 years ago when Hubby and I moved to the city of Las Cruces in Southern New Mexico from New York City. We took the long way across ~ a five-week tour! ~ and eventually headed south on the I-25 from Colorado.
FROM NYC TO NEW MEXICO IS A DIFFERENT WORLD
From a city of over 8 million to a state of 2 million, I expected to see some differences. Anyone would.
But now we were living where the nearest airport with a direct flight to Europe was 6 hours away. Where instead of easy access to Italian bakeries selling sweet-scented cannoli for my afternoon treat, I was surrounded by yucca plants.
Lots and lots of yucca plants.
That’s when I popped myself the question: Small city life had been his retirement dream, but what would it be for me?
What could it be?
That’s how this Southern New Mexico blog began
~ as a strategy to enjoy my new life in New Mexico’s Chihuahuan desert to the max.
I knew the process of discovering something new excites me no matter where I happen to be. So I figured having to pursue new and interesting things to write about on a regular basis would keep me in explorer-mode, making discoveries.
Turned out I was right.
For instance, did you know the blooms on those yucca plants are not only beautiful but delicious when you fry ’em up in tempura batter? (Yes, really!)
Anyway, that’s how it began and I’ve been romancing New Mexico ever since.
WHAT YOU’LL FIND HERE
Stories & photos about FOOD, TRAVEL, and LIFE in New Mexico and the Southwest (with an emphasis on New Mexico’s warmer Southern half you don’t find elsewhere) including:
- best insider tips and insights on food and attractions in Las Cruces, New Mexico’s second largest city.
- detailed info on what to do, see and eat in New Mexico and its borderland (with Mexico and the states of Arizona, Texas, Colorado, and Oklahoma.)
- recipes and histories of New Mexico specialty foods like this popular sweet treat.
- reviews of Southwest eateries like this Silver City favorite.
- yummy gluten-free recipes and dishes served at restaurants and food trucks throughout the region.
- Road trip stories with photos and ideas to help you plan your Southwest adventure.
- the landscapes of the desert south, and scenic drives and hiking trails throughout New Mexico.
And, occasionally, I’ll share:
- musings on life in Southern New Mexico, learning and trying new things, and food, language, and travel in places far beyond the Southwest (because occasionally I go far beyond the Southwest.)
WHAT YOU WON’T FIND HERE
- extreme outdoor sports attractions and activities. Nothing against adrenaline and sweat, though . . . I am retired military, after all.
- reviews in the purest sense. When I eat a meal I don’t like, you don’t hear about it since I’m motivated to write about what I DO like. The one exception is when the food is so awful I feel duty bound to say so. I never want you to get up from a New Mexico table thinking, “If that’s New Mexican food, I’m outta here!”
MY AIM FOR THIS BLOG
is for it to serve as inspiration and resource for you in exploring the beautiful American Southwest and New Mexico, in particular, ~ that slice of the Southwest I now call home.
I publish new photos and articles, typically, once a week-ish; the time between posts can be a bit longer when I’m traveling.
Please subscribe to my updates. It’s the best way to stay current with new articles and other resources as they become available.
I’m still an undergrad in New Mexican studies. Don’t know if I’ll ever graduate.
But I’ll count it a privilege to share with you what I’ve learned so far.